Ever since I was a kid, I’ve loved to dream amazing dreams. One day it might be flying, the next day it might be racing, and on another it might be inventing something new. Dreams are one of the wonders of life. It’s curious to me how our minds can take the things we see, hear, and feel and create completely new images in our mind’s eye.
What is even more amazing than the dreams themselves, is the fact that they can actually come true in real life. For years I dreamed of writing a book. One day I went to the front door and there was a package containing a book with my name on it. Opening the box and holding that book was the culmination of years of dreaming. From the title, to the characters, to the evolving story, all had been dreams or ideas before they became reality.
Yet, an even more curious fact emerges. Some dreams come true, and some don’t. Some really simple dreams linger on in my mind, year after year. Others take shape right away. I’ve often wondered what makes the difference.
I’ve talked with wonderful writers who have never been able to put a book together, while other, less talented writers, have published dozens. What makes the difference? What makes companies like Apple and Disney, be able to take magical dreams and turn them into realities?
While there are many factors, Here are three important ways to make your dreams come true.
1. Write Them Down: A dream written down and attached to a date becomes a goal. It sounds over-simplistic, yet that simple act is the difference between a dreamer and a doer. The statistics are staggering. People who set written goals are much more successful than those that don’t. Putting your goals where you can see them is really important.
2. Dream BIG Dreams: It’s funny, but the amazing thing to me is the fact that it is easier to accomplish a BIG dream than a small one. Big dreams are exciting and keep us motivated. They get us up in the morning and keep us motivated through the day. They attract other people to get involved. Little dreams are easily forgotten and often abandoned.
3. Focus on One Dream at a Time. An old Chinese proverb states that “A man who chases two rabbits, catches none.” Focus is critical to achieving our goals. Steve Jobs commented that the single thing that made Apple successful was the thousand projects they didn’t do. Focusing on one important goal at a time will help you stay on track.
To help you turn your dreams into reality, we have developed some tools that can help you take the first step.
1. Goal Setting Toolkit. This simple card based system gives you a place to capture your short and long term goals and keep them in front of you wherever you go.
2. Daily Planner: This handy sheet that you can print out on your printer has a place for your top 6 objectives for the day. It’s a great place to put the action steps necessary to achieve your goals.
3. Empower Hour: The best way to stay focused is to turn off distractions and do ONE thing for 48 minutes. Check out the short video that accompanies this post and see how this simple solution can revolutionize your workday and increase your productivity.
Question: What dreams would you like to see come true?