Back when I was an automotive technician I used to tune and service many cars. Most of the work that I would do would be under the hood… unseen by my customers. But there was one final important step in the service process that made all the difference. Something that only took a minute but made all the difference in my customers attitude when they picked up their car.
I cleaned their windows.
This one simple task let the customers know that something positive was done to their car. They could see clearly again. The change was sometimes subtle, but the effect was always positive.
Is there something that you have been looking at for a long time that needs to be changed? So long in fact that you may not even notice it anymore? Here are five simple things that you can do today that may improve your attitude and bring a smile to your face. Most only take a few minutes but will reap a huge mental award. Why not choose one and do it today?
1. Clean off your desk. You’ve been staring at that mess for months. Why not take a few minutes today and completely clean it off, dust it, polish it and sit back and smile. You can do it!
2. Wash your car. It’s so dirty from the summer grime that you can barely see out. Take a few minutes today and clean it up. If you don’t have much time… take it to the car wash. A shiny car will bring a shiny new smile to your face.
3. Clean your sink. The dishes have piled up and the food stains abound. Why not wash the dishes and clean your sink. Make that sink shine. Don’t leave one spot. Get some elbow grease and do an amazing job. Stand back and admire your work. You know you can do this!
4. Clean out a closet. You can barely shut the door. The old clothes are piling up and you know it will be a disaster if someone else should open it up. Why not grab a a large plastic trash bag and spend a few minutes sorting through those old clothes and taking them to a needy charity. You’ll make life better for someone else and lessen your stress now that you can actually open the closet door.
5. Clean out your refrigerator. Start with the old milk cartons and work backwards. Get those plastic containers of who knows what and dump them down the garbage disposal. Bring over your trash can and start throwing out the old stuff. Then take everything else out and give it a good cleaning. Add a new box of baking soda, sort your items and stand back and smile. You now have a healthy and happy place in your kitchen.
Why not pick one item from the list and change your attitude today!