July 2005 is the start of a new fiscal year for me. I like to set personal and work related goals at this point. For this site I have done some research to see what has been popular in the last few months. Business and personal development topics are at the top of the list. It is very interesting that the best days are a synergy between two or more popular subjects.
Synergy is defined as: The working together of two or more things, people, or organizations, especially when the result is greater than the sum of their individual effects or capabilities
For the upcoming year I would like to continue this idea of Synergy and put together topics that meld two or more popular business tenets together. The main course that I want to follow is the remaining tenets espoused in John Maxwell’s book “Becoming a Person of Influence.”
1. Faith in people
2. Understanding people
3. Enlarging people
4. Navigating for other people
5. Connecting with people
6. Empowering people
7. Reproducing other Influencers
Rather that just restate what is in John’s book, I’d like to take the tenets and explore them in light of other concepts and doctrines. With Synergy I think the outcome will be much more interesting and useful.
In our first synergistic foray we’ll explore the concept of faith tied in with Seth Godin’s concept of a “Purple Cow.”
Faith is described as “belief in, devotion to, or trust in somebody or something, especially without logical proof”
A “Purple Cow” is characterized as “something phenomenal, something counterintuitive and exciting and flat out unbelievable“.
Here is a synopsis of the upcoming theme.
1. Faith in yourself. Do you have the faith to successfully develop a “Purple Cow” and market it? Or will fear and negativity defeat you?
2. Convincing other people to have faith in you. Selling your idea to your spouse, loved ones, business partners and the world.
3. Faith in others. Helping other people with a great “Purple Cow” idea to take it from concept to creation.
4. Team Synergy. Faith in team members. Working with a creative team to create an idea that is greater than the sum of the parts.
Over the following week we’ll look at these ideas and more.