It’s the New Year and time to get back on track. Resolutions are not enough. We need some solid goals and action steps for the New Year to get us off our “buts” and get going. To help you get started, I’ve compiled a list of some of the best goal setting tools and information in the Personal Development arena. These powerful action based tools can help you get a great start, and make 2012 the best year yet.
1. Twenty Steps. The first place to start is to determine your top goal for the New Year. Brian Tracy talks about a simple technique to help you find your top goal in his book, Success Secrets of Self Made Millionaires. It’s actually rather simple.
He devised a simple four step process that anyone can take to get started on this path to success. Here are the instructions…
- Take out a sheet of paper and write down ten goals you would like to accomplish in the next 12 months. Things you want to have, do, or become.
- Look at all ten goals and ask yourself this question. If you could only accomplish one goal on this list, but you could accomplish it in 24 hours, which one would would have the greatest impact on your life? Brian says in most cases it will jump out at you. Write the goal down in bold writing and set a completion date.
- Turn the paper over and write down twenty action steps to accomplish this goal. This step will be easy at first but will become harder as you progress down the list. Don’t stop until you have filled in all twenty.
- Each day take at least one action step to accomplish your goal
To make this easy for you, we have a free worksheet to get you started. Just download the two sided MS Word document called the Top Goal Worksheet that has ten boxes on the front and twenty on the back. Unzip it, and open both sheets in Microsoft Word. You can add text to the document in Word or print it plain to fill in with a pen or pencil.
When you are ready, print it front and back on both sides of a sheet of letter sized paper.
To fill it out, just follow the four steps above.
You’ll find complete instructions here
If you are having trouble with your Top Goal, you might want to go through Michael Hyatt’s Life Plan first
2. Goal Setting Toolkit. Now that you have your top goal written down, along with some action steps to take, you’ll need to keep this goal top of mind. The easiest way to do this is to write your Goal(s) down using our Goal Setting Toolkit. This kit includes 9 different pocket sized cards that you can take with you in your pocket or purse. You can stick the cards up at work, at home or even in your car.
You’ll find complete instructions for using this kit here along with the free download.
3. Daily Planner. Now that you have your goals set and your action steps listed, it’s time to take daily action. This is where the daily planner comes in. This one sheet, MS Word document has a place at the top for your top 6 priorities for the day as well as a complete section for creating a daily to-do list. It’s simple to use and it will keep all of your priorities listed in one spot.
You’ll find complete instructions here.
Overall: These three items should get you started for the year. Why not take some time today to download them and put yourself in the driver’s seat for the New Year.
Question: What Is Your Top Goal For The New Year?