The rumor mill has been very active during the past few months on the specifications of the upcoming Apple iPad 3. While the rumors have been all over the place, the last few days have brought a lot of consolidation and a few supposed photos.
Here are a few things that most rumor sites agree on about the new iPad.
- Same basic size and shape as current models with a more gradual taper on the sides
- Higher resolution screen similar to the Retina displays on the iPhone
- Faster processor, with most sites guessing it will be a quad-core
- Higher resolution rear camera. Most sites indicating that it will be 8 megapixel.
- Pricing will probably remain the same. Older models will be reduced in price
- Expected to be unveiled on March 7th
While these sound like an evolutionary advancement, the big question remains…
Will you buy one?
Online bargain site Techbargains did a survey of 1305 users and found that many people are excited about the new model.
Here are some surprising findings…
- 48% of all respondents indicated they would buy the new model
- 66% of iPad 1 owners intend to upgrade
- 56% of iPad 2 owners plan to upgrade
- Over 50% of the respondents that currently own a Kindle Fire intend to purchase
The survey of respondents also indicated…
- 5% will wait in line at the Apple store on the release date
- 17% will buy online on the release date
- 26% will buy with no time frame in mind
Men seem to be more interested in the purchase, with…
- 51% of the men indicating they will buy
- While only 35% of the women indicating a for-sure purchase
The age and income ranges of the respondents came out pretty even, but the single largest deterrent to purchasing a new iPad was the price.
Given that the main deterrent to purchasing a new model will be the $500 and up price tag, it will be interesting to see how many people buy a reduced price iPad 2.
Overall: The survey indicated that the highest percentage of people standing in line at the Apple store will be iPad 2 owners. This goes to show that many people, like myself, love Apple products!
Question: Do you plan to purchase an iPad 3?